Client Services Volunteer Opportunities
POINT-IN-TIME HOMELESS COUNT VOLUNTEERS
The nationwide Point-In-Time Homeless Count takes place annually on the last Wednesday in January. This year it will take place on January 31st, 2018. YCAP leads the Homeless Count for Yamhill County each year. This effort offers a snapshot of homelessness by recording the number of people experiencing homelessness on a single night of the year. This event is critical for bringing in local funding for homeless services and service planning.
There are a variety of opportunities to participate in the Point-In-Time Homeless Count. Volunteers are essential to the success of the Homeless Count. Volunteer training is required for some volunteer roles to ensure safety. Training is offered by YCAP’s Client Services Department before the day of the Homeless Count.
See the job descriptions below to get an idea of what opportunity would be a good fit for you.
POINT-IN-TIME VOLUNTEER ROLES
- Distributing/hanging flyers to promote the event
- Staffing a shift at a drop-in site location on the day of the Homeless Count (training session required)
- Staffing a shift on a street outreach team to conduct surveys with persons living outside (training session required).
- Donating supplies (bus passes, socks, gloves, hats or cash donations to purchase supplies)
If you'd like to volunteer in the upcoming PIT Homeless Count, please email Mandy Gawf at email@example.com
PEDAL POWER VOLUNTEERS
Our Pedal Power program offers refurbished bicycles to the community at no cost through a partnership with Waste Management.
BIKE VOLUNTEERS: (Report to lead volunteer)
Bike Volunteers currently needed: 3-5 individuals (depending on time commitment)
- Perform repairs and maintenance on bicycles to ensure they are safe and functional to ride.
SPOKE HOUSE LEAD VOLUNTEER (Reports to Client Services Coordinator)
- Minimum commitment of 3 hours a week
- Basic knowledge of bikes and parts
- Scheduling Spoke House volunteers
- Taking inventory of bikes
- Taking inventory of parts on hand and needed
- Coordinating pick-of bikes from Waste Management’s Riverbend Landfill
- Coordinating calls and bicycle pick-ups to those on the bicycle waitlist.